They coulda been contenders:
Top Ten hillwalking pugilists
The footballing Munros mentioned in TAC5 triggered off memories of the Top Ten hillwalking pugilists:
- John L. Suilven
- Sgurr Ray Robinson...and his "twin peak"...
- Sgurr Ray Leonard
- Rocky Marciano (geddit!?)
- James J. Corbett
- Joe "Ben" Lui (aka the Hamish Brown Bomber)
- Cairn Buchanan
- Mohammed A'Liathach
- Nigel Benn Macduibank (surely that counts as two? - Ed.)
- Randolph Turpinnacle (demoted because of inaccessibility)
As for me, I never stood a chance because of Meall Glas jaw.
Words & pic by Ted Eames
Ed. - We've come up with another footballer too: Andy "Cairn" Goram. And how about mountaineering books? Surely there must be more than Climb and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevski and Jimmy Boyle's Ascents of Freedom.
TAC 6 Index